We hopped on a sightseeing bus at Union Square and took the bus route to Larkin Street. From here, we walked up the steep street to the top of Lombard Street. Many photographs later, we found ourselves in a cute cafe a few blocks from the bottom of the famous street. Caffe Sapore offers fresh bakery items and very tasty bagels! This was a cafe for locals but everyone was very welcoming even if we did stick out as tourists!
How to get to the famous Curvy road in San Francisco
There are a few ways you can get to this famous road in San Francisco:
- Sightseeing bus – As we mentioned above, we had a sightseeing pass for the few days we were in the city. We found this was the most convenient way for us to explore the city whilst we were short on time. To get to the Zig Zag Lombard Street, take the red route which will take you to the street – it will be the stop after Marina/Cow Hollow.
- Powell-Hyde cable car – This cable car route will take you to the top of Lombard Street, ready for you to take a descent down the famous crooked street.
- Drive it – Many people choose to drive down the Zig Zag Street in San Francisco – it can see up to 350 cars an hour during the summer months! If you want to join that statistic, set your Sat Nav to 1099 Lombard Street – the top of this one-way street. Just keep an eye out for tourists – they will be in your way as you reach the bottom!
Zig Zag Street Experiences!
We enjoyed a leisurely walk down the Zig Zag Lombard street but we did notice a few fun alternatives that we will have to try when we are next in San Francisco!
- Segway – YES! You can get a segway down the Zig Zag street in San Francisco and it looked like great fun; just make sure you take it slow!
- GoCar – Rent a GoCar to tour San Francisco in style… well, kinda. We saw a few of these cars zipping around the curved Lombard Street and you can rent one for the whole day; make sure you drive across Golden Gate Bridge too!
Need to know:
Lombard Street is one of the most popular attractions in San Francisco but make sure you remember a few things:
- Lombard Street is FREE and is open 24 hours a day. It can get busy during the holidays, especially if you wish to drive down the road.
- This famous Zig Zag road is still a residential area. Be respectful when visiting; especially at night.
- Avoid rush hour – those living on this famous street will also likely need to get to and from work. They won’t appreciate tourists standing on their driveway as they head off to work in the morning.
- Use the sidewalks – as I’ve mentioned, many, many tourists will drive down this road. It can get chaotic and busy, plus drivers are likely to be unsure of road rules themselves (for foreign tourists). Make sure you stick to the sidewalk and be extra cautious when crossing the street.
Lombard Street was one of my favourite things to do in San Francisco because of its uniqueness but also its amazing views of the city from the top of the street!
Lombard St, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Have you been to San Fran? What do you think of Lombard Street? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.