South East Asia is a popular destination for many but knowing where to start and which countries to visit can be difficult. That is why we have collated the 5 best destinations to visit in South East Asia.
Not sure when to visit? Read this guide to the best times to visit Southeast Asia.
- Everything is cheap: hotels, transport, food, drink and attractions are all relatively cheap and perfect for those on a budget.
- The people: everyone we came across in Cambodia were warm and friendly citizens who welcomed tourists to their country.
- Attractions: The capital city Phnom Penh holds some destructive history that is worth learning about and exploring. Whilst you are there whilst Siem Reap is home to the stunning and expansive Angkor Wat, an ancient complex that was hidden from civilisation for thousands of years.
- Tourism: Cambodia is still fairly quite in comparison to its neighbouring countries, meaning prices are still low but there is still a collection of restaurants and bars available.
- Location: Wedged between Thailand and Vietnam, there are many buses and trains that offer routes into Cambodia as well as a growing network of domestic flights that arrive in the country daily.
- The country is under-developed so expect bumpier car and bus journeys.
- Innovative: at the height of sophistication, the contemporary city of Singapore is a perfect choice for those looking for some luxury in their travels. Here, skyscrapers meets tradition and you will marvel at the differences and contrasts across the city.
- Attractions: Singapore is starting to build and provide more and more fun attractions for tourists heading to the city. Marina Bay is a treasure trove of casinos and shopping whilst the Sentosa island offers a host of family attractions, including a Universal Studios.
- Neighbourhoods: Singapore is made up of lots of different neighbourhoods that are worth a visit to explore themselves. Each area has a unique feel and vibe whilst offering some great attractions, stores and food.
- Food: With such a vast variety of areas and influences, you can get so many different types of food in Singapore, all fairly cheap and mostly delicious!
- Hotel prices: As a modern metropolitan city, accommodation in Singapore can be fairly pricey especially for those on a tight budget. However, try one of the many hostels available or a hotel slightly further away from the centre of Singapore to grab cheaper rates.
- Variety: Philippines offers a mixture of busy city centres, luscious landscapes and picturesque beaches. There is so much to enjoy across the country of Philippines that makes the place well worth a visit,
- Cost: Hotels, transport, attractions, food and drink are all pretty cheap in the Philippines, making it ideal for travellers on all budgets.
- Beauty: There are some truly stunning sights to be found in Philippines that is untouched from bustling tourists and large co-operations.
- Tourism: Philippines is not as crowded as beaches and cities in Thailand or Bali, making it a scenic and quieter area to visit.
- Transport: Because the country is a developing area with less tourists than the rest of South East Asia, transport between the cities and different islands can be slightly trickier and longer than in the rest of Asia.
- Attractions: There are so many different cities, towns and attractions to explore in Vietnam; from the War museums and Cu Chi tunnels to one of the Natural Seven Wonders of the World; Halong Bay. You could spend months in Vietnam exploring and learning about this rich culture.
- Cost: Vietnam is one of the cheapest places in South East Asia, with private ensuite rooms costing as little as £5/$8 a night. Everything is accessible at great prices including flights, transport, attractions and lifestyle.
- Food: The Vietnamese food is just delicious! Get your hands on a Pho or Bien Sandwich to enjoy some mind-blowing tastes. Vietnam is packed with vendors, street stalls and markets that offer some of the best food we tried in Asia.
- Transport: There are lots of places in Vietnam that are worth a visit to, particularly along the east coast. Buses to and from Vietnam from neighbouring countries are relatively cheap and hassle free; with lots of night buses available. Trains and buses between destinations in Vietnam are also quick and cost very little whilst flights don’t break the bank either.
- Tourism: Vietnam is a popular destination for most backpackers exploring the region, meaning that Ho Chi Minh City in particular is full of tourists and travellers. That being said, we didn’t find that the attractions, bars or restaurants were any different because of the tourism so this isn’t a massive con.
- Atmosphere: Bustling streets and soaring skyscrapers, there is just something magical about walking the streets of Taipei; Taiwan. The locals are welcoming and friendly whilst the countryside of Taiwan is breathtaking.
- History and Culture: Fairly unknown from many tourists, Taiwan promotes its own independent culture and history with some amazing temples and attractions waiting to be explored.
- Food: Think Chinese food with a Japanese twist, Taiwan offers some scrumptious dumplings and a large variety of meat on sticks.
- Cost: Hotels and flights to and from Taiwan can be fairly pricey but Agoda offer some good deals on cheaper hotels in the area.
So those are our 5 best destinations to visit in South East Asia. Have an awesome trip and don’t forget to read up on these need-to-know tips for your Southeast Asian Travel!
Tells us your favourite in the comments below!